The Monday morning after the weekend’s storms about two weeks ago, I received a phone call. It was the farmer upon whose land my hive sits. He rang to tell me that my hive was upside-down and he could see bees and comb. I dropped everything, and rushed to my apiary on a mercy mission to rescue the bees.
When I got to my apiary the up-ended hive did show signs of life. I opened the crown board and the several bees come-up and at me. I suffered a sting to my ear before even had a chance to run to cover.
I shortly returned to the hive but his time with my bee-suit. I carefully re-assembled the hive back on the stand. Luckily, it was a very mild February morning and I don’t think the hive lost too much heat.
At this point in time I have no idea whether the hive is queen-right. Fingers-crossed that all will be well with this colony of bees in the spring.